Thursday, September 29, 2016

Making a Peer's Work

Making Niko's work consisted of studying motion of the human figure. For this, I used a video art piece by Candice Breitz called FACTUM JACOB to examine body language. I was very interested in showing motion through a fairly reserved conversational setting. I made the drawing based on an excerpt from the video. I wanted to see what would happen if I borrowed Niko's process, but took a more gestural approach, rather than a series of tightly refined drawings.

My process consisted of making a gestural line drawing in pencil to convey every subtle motion the figure made. After I felt that the pencil drawing was complete, I went over these pencil marks with ink to collapse the image into a single layer as Niko's paintings appear.




detail
detail

detail
finished piece

No comments:

Post a Comment