Thursday, September 29, 2016

Reading Response 5

Reading Response 5:

Summary:

It is difficult to consider what historical context one’s work occupies. Thinking about this often helps one learn about their work. It is a good to look at your past work to learn about your personal history and development. It is also valuable to analyze what events were happening at the time the work was made as this can heavily affect the work. Lastly, it is very important to use art history to contextualize your personal work. Culturally, your mind creates infinite filters of how you view the world. It is important to identify and use these filters within your work.

Response:

I have rarely thought about my work within historical context. I often consider what historical context the state of art is in, but this article made me realize that I am currently participating in “the state of art.”


Conversely, I recently began to tap into this idea of filtration through culture. I have always had a negative connotation of the idea of “filtration” as the bulk of my exploration examines who I am at my core, on a solely human level of consciousness. The article made me contemplate how these filters can be advantageous and it made me realize that no matter my explorations, the filters will show themselves through my expression and decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment