Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Piece 4 Progress and Statement: Currently Untitled


Phase 1

Phase 2

Phase 3

Phase 4

Finished Piece
Artist Statement:
Anthropology is the study of humankind, typically put in terms of societies and cultures. As an artist I think that by investigating consciousness I am also investigating the human experience. I am attracted to appropriating broad anthropological methodologies. The anthropology of cultures differs from history in that, rather than focusing on chronology, it focuses on the harmony of layers and behaviors in a society. This is useful to me as it propels me to further explore the idea of juxtaposition and layering in terms of a more multifaceted investigative body of work.

A major theme I chose to investigate is shamanism and trance. Trance is characterized by a lower functioning external state which overwhelmingly emphasizes artificial and constructed barriers. This piece is a response to scratching the surface of reality vs. cultural filtration that is trained into individuals through societal normality.

No comments:

Post a Comment